The Phrases and Sentences resource provides sets of phrases and sentences that can be matched to the phonics being studied in class.
The resources are organised by set, word structure or focus sound, as appropriate.
The resources can be printed and cut out into individual items or groups of items and used with pupils in a number of ways:
- Dictation – read out the phrase or sentence to the pupil and then ask them to write it.
- Read and repeat the whole phrase or sentence as many times as the pupil needs so that they are able to recall it all verbally and then write it.
- Read the complete phrase or sentence and then repeat it word by word with the pupil writing after each word.
- Reading practice – ask the pupil to read the phrase or sentence. Ask them to re-read and discuss fluency and pace. Read it again later in the same lesson or in subsequent lessons. The pupil could also take the sentences home to read to parents and/or could draw a picture to match the phrase or sentence.
- Partner reading – pairs of pupils work together with the support of a teacher or TA. Both pupils are given two phrases or sentences.
Pupil 1 reads the first phrase or sentence out loud to pupil 2 who ticks off each word on their own copy as pupil 1 reads.
Pupil 1 helps pupil 2 to decode the words, if needed (and with the support of the teacher or TA).
Pupil 2 reads the second phrase or sentence out loud to pupil 1 who ticks off each word on their own copy, as pupil 2 reads.
Pupil 2 helps pupil 1 to decode the words, if needed (and with the support of the teacher or TA).
Phrases and Sentences Cards
Copyright © Ann Sullivan Phonics for Pupils with Special Educational Needs. All rights reserved.
May be printed for use by purchasing individual or school. This pdf may not be shared to other individuals, schools or organisations.